Friday, July 22, 2011

Vixen- Book Club

Hostess: Kelly
Book: Vixen by Jillian Larkin
Food:Cheese Pesto tortellini, hummus, veggies and dip, strawberry/pineapple fruit salad, baguette, Kelly's cheese puffs, watermelon, Coldstone Creamery Cupcakes
Wine of the Night: Sangria (we never made it past the huge jug of Sangria- although the Lulu B. bottle looked cute!)
Month: July

Last night book club was sultry with a side of sultry.  The hottest day of the summer, and our group of women were feeling it.  Hot and humid, we combated the heat with wine glasses full of icy sangria. Even the wine bottles were sweating.  Kelly's table was set so picturesque, by the way, that I have resolved to bring my camera to future book clubs. However, this weather did not bring book club down- in fact it led to one of our most entertaining book clubs to date, I think. 

Most of us had read the book - which I have to say looked perfect on the table in Kelly's house.  Kelly was upset that the end was a cliffhanger; I said it was hard for me to remember they were still in high school.  It would throw me every time one of the characters would mention that they had school the next day.  Most of us agreed the characters were not that likable, especially Gloria- she was boring and even her rebellion seemed too perfectly cliche.  I actually liked Lorraine - she was a hot mess, and that made her interesting.  Jennifer said that it drove her nuts when Clara referred to her ex-boyfriend as the Cad, and I couldn't stand them constantly referring to Clara as "Country Clara" every time they talked about her.  I get the point already!

While the book had its ups and downs, it was the perfect book to discuss on a hot night - jazz, booze, boys..all our book club needed last night was jazz.  It seemed we strayed off the topic of the book quite often to discuss our favorite characters on True Blood - mainly Eric and Alcide.  And Sam and Jason.  And how they looked shirtless.  Which is not something we ever sit around and discuss! Blame it on the sultry air and the sangria. I am.

Next book club is Alyssa's pick - I will let you all know what it is when I find out. 


You can read my whole review of this book at my book blog, Quixotic Magpie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts, don't be shy! I love hearing from people.